This is a Royal Society-funded postdoctoral position in the group of Dr Andrew Jupp in the School of Chemistry at the University of Birmingham.
The aim of the project is the design and synthesis of main-group compounds for small-molecule activation and catalysis. In particular, we aim to explore the functionalisation of environmentally relevant gases such as CO2, CO, and N2O, as well as catalytic hydrophosphination and hydroamination reactions using main-group species. This builds on experience in the Jupp group in the synthesis and reactivity of new phosphorus-containing molecules, and in main-group catalysis, typically using frustrated Lewis pair (FLP) chemistry.
- Perform synthetic main-group chemistry in the laboratory, including novel main-group compounds, and assessing their utility in catalysis;
- Characterise the structure and photophysical properties of molecules using NMR spectroscopy, single crystal X-ray diffraction, UV-Vis spectroscopy and mass spectrometry;
- To design, perform and critically interpret experiments that achieve the project goals in a way that is consistent with the requirements for publication of high quality research;
- To apply knowledge in a way which develops new intellectual understanding, and contribute to developing new models, techniques and methods;
- To collect, analyse, interpret and store research data as required for publication and open-data requirements in line with the funders expectations;
- To prepare draft academic publications, or parts thereof, and contribute to other writing that can include bids for research funding, review articles and public engagement literature;
- To present research outputs effectively in internal reports, presentations (group meetings internal seminars, conferences), posters and other media;
- Work effectively with potential collaborators
- Supervise students on research related to the project and provide guidance to PhD and Master’s students
- To work in accordance with relevant safety policies and operating procedures and to undertake training as required.
- Support the day-to-day running of the research group
- Promotes equality and values diversity acting as a role model and fostering an inclusive working culture.
Informal enquires can be made to Andrew Jupp, email@example.com
For more information and to apply visit https://www.jobs.ac.uk/job/DEM147/research-fellow